Thursday, September 15, 2011

Peace

How does one attain it and how can it be sustained? Whether a nation or a person, peace is often an illusive prize that seems just out of our grasp most of the time but when one is in its presence, all fear and mistrust melt and life takes on significant awe. I marvel at the ways people who are surrounded by turmoil can exhibit this trait. I remember being in Jakarta during the September 11, 2001 and my colleagues at my school commenting on my peace. (If they only knew) Just last year a student told me that they wanted to teach just like me - with grace and peace. Once again, I thought, "If only they knew"! In any case, it seems that one cannot force it; one can only long for it and wait and observe the conditions that bring it about.
My thoughts on peace are prompted by witnessing a good friend suffer incredible loss with resilience and joy - no small feat. His life was in danger and he lost his most expensive possessions and yet he exhibits peace in authentic and disarming ways. I think of Paul's admonition to the church at Philippi, "The peace of God that passes all understanding may keep your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." Yes, that's what it is, peace that passes understanding, peace like a river, peace that keeps one centered, balanced, and which disarms even the most antagonistic intruders. May our days be filled with unabashed and unexplainable peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment