Sunday, October 23, 2011

Balance

Life is ALL about balance. We are told the importance of a balanced diet. I have long ago given up balancing my checkbook but, most importantly, I am learning how to balance the range of roles I assume in any given day. As soon as my three year old son decides it's time to jump out of bed singing, my role as a weary father begins! Within minutes, as I juggle at least two children and get them their milk and breakfast while their mother sleeps, my role as a husband takes over. About an hour later, I am rushing out the door, ready to begin my role as a college professor which involves the multiple roles of teacher, researcher, writer, counselor, team builder, and friend. Alternately, I assume the role of brother, leader, lover, and mentor. To say it's a daunting job puts it mildly.
My roles often bleed into each other and at times, it is difficult to manage so many ways of living. I think of my pre-professional students who are currently struggling with this juxtaposition. I see them teeter between being a student and being a teacher and trying to figure out where the balance lies. That we need balance is not the issue. The question is how. After 45 years of trying to figure this out, I am learning to be patient with the process as I keep striving for this all elusive goal. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment